[DeTomaso] Spark plug question

www.DeTomasoRegistry.org Pantera007 at provamo.com
Wed Apr 29 11:56:45 EDT 2009

Platinum plugs are NOT recommended (by us listers anyway).  Reason?
They were designed for 'modern' engines with electronic fuel and ignition
management systems.  A standard 351C (with a carb) will tend to foul those
plugs rather quickly.  Standard Autolite plugs are better (and cheaper
too!).

My opinion.

Chuck

All,

I changed mu plugs for the first time in a year and didn't think much of it.
It was my first change since owning the car, and I was actually surprised at
how easy it was. The previous owner said that he had just changed them
before I purchased the car. I wasn't changing for any particular reason
other than I was doing annual maintenance and figured I should before Reno.
I replaced them with what was currently installed - Autolite Double Platinum
APP 25's.

Upon taking it out for a quick test drive, i was REALLY surprised at how
much more powerful and, well, quick it was! Throttle response was much
better, acceleration was more than noticeably better. While initially
excited about my findings, I soon began to try and understand why this would
have had such a big impact.

Here are my questions.  I went back to study the plugs I had removed. One
thing I was immediately bothered by was the amount of oil around the
threads. I don't recall that as being normal.  I don't have leaks, and the
engine certainly doesn't smoke, but it is an internally stock engine with
72k miles.  Also, how do the plugs look?  There seems to be a lot of build
up around the base of the plug, but he tip looks clean?  Take a look at the
pictures and let me know what you think.  Appreciate any feedback!

Single plug:
http://tinyurl.com/cxsalk

Several other picts:
http://tinyurl.com/d5rguw