[DeTomaso] Spark plug question

Brent Stewart bjbstewart at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 29 11:49:15 EDT 2009

All,

I changed mu plugs for the first time in a year and didn't think much of it. It was my first change since owning the car, and I was actually surprised at how easy it was. The previous owner said that he had just changed them before I purchased the car. I wasn't changing for any particular reason other than I was doing annual maintenance and figured I should before Reno.  I replaced them with what was currently installed - Autolite Double Platinum APP 25's.

Upon taking it out for a quick test drive, i was REALLY surprised at how much more powerful and, well, quick it was! Throttle response was much better, acceleration was more than noticeably better. While initially excited about my findings, I soon began to try and understand why this would have had such a big impact.

Here are my questions.  I went back to study the plugs I had removed. One thing I was immediately bothered by was the amount of oil around the threads. I don't recall that as being normal.  I don't have leaks, and the engine certainly doesn't smoke, but it is an internally stock engine with 72k miles.  Also, how do the plugs look?  There seems to be a lot of build up around the base of the plug, but he tip looks clean?  Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think.  Appreciate any feedback!

Single plug:
http://tinyurl.com/cxsalk

Several other picts:
http://tinyurl.com/d5rguw