[DeTomaso] Initial Timming

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Wed Apr 29 05:54:29 EDT 2009

19 and 41 dgr, thats is some unusual but very okay numbers. What I see
as unusual is the odd numbers, moost of the time there are only 34-36-38
steps for some strange reason. I have been wondering why?
Goran

Paul,

I have another data point for you.  I'm running 22 degrees of advance with
19 initial and 41 total on closed chamber iron 351C heads with 353 cu-in
displacement.  It starts fine when hot and doesn't ping on 92 pump premium
as long as I run a half bottle of 104+ "Super" octane boost (not the
standard cheaper 104+) plus 4oz of Bardahl Instead-O-Lead to keep those
valve seats happy.  This amount of advance was arrived at on the dyno where
it made 444 HP through long tube (70 Mustang) headers.  A change to Mind
Train headers dropped the dyno HP to 415.  I'm using an Edelbrock F351-4V
dual plane intake, large Holley Carb, MSD-6AL, and Autolite #25 plugs.

Hey Jack, aren't your heads aluminum?  Maybe the iron heads need far more
advance than aluminum heads or maybe it's just the difference between our
cams

Doug Braun