[DeTomaso] Initial Timming

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Apr 28 18:12:56 EDT 2009

In a message dated 4/28/09 1:57:29 PM, doug at silicondesigns.com writes:

> Hey Jack, aren't your heads aluminum?  Maybe the iron heads need far more
> advance than aluminum heads or maybe it's just the difference between our
> cams

My heads are indeed SVO A-3s w/ TRW flat-top pistons at 10.5:1 with a
matching Roush open plenum intake & a tuner-Holley 700 double-pump, and my cam is
a pretty mild SVO hydraulic grind (6250-A-341, 214 int/224 exh @050,
0.510/0.536 lift, set straight-up). It's said that aluminum heads will take a full
point more compression than equivalent iron heads just due to the
non-hot-spotting of aluminum. Never heard anything about extra advance being needed.
But I always live & learn with these things. Dynos are indeed the last word
on what works and what doesn't, except for a good hard road trip.... Cheers-
J Deryke