[DeTomaso] Rear Brake Pad pins

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Mon Apr 27 23:15:57 EDT 2009

I recently received an email from another Pantera owner who is very
familiar with how the rear caliper piston works (rotate to unlock) but
has never seen one of these Porterfield pads.  They were concerned the
-pin- being talked about here would not work like the square pad on an
original brake pad; that it might allow the piston to rotate enough to
unlock.  That of course would be way bad ju-ju.  So I thought I better
look and take some photos.

Well, the pin is very much off-center and should prevent the piston from
rotating.  However, to ally any fears, at least to this point, I have
provided some photos comparing the Porterfield pin to the stock pad
square ledge.  Please view them here:

http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2161
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2164
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2167
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2170

The only other thing I can do at this point, is to try rotating a piston
and see just how far I can get it with the Porterfield pad installed.  I
may do that later.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie