[DeTomaso] BBORR report

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Apr 27 15:51:34 EDT 2009

In a message dated 4/27/09 9:21:11 AM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> Oil -in- the bellhousing?  I'm guessing a rear main seal.  Consider
> this... if the detonation was bad enough, it may have blown a hole in a piston
> top.  Now, all that pressure is going into the crankcase, and the bottom end
> at that.  So my guess is one hole in one piston, and a blown rear main
> seal.  But that's just guess.

Agreed, except the rear main may still be OK. A blown or cracked piston or
top ring will pressurize the crankcase and combustion pressures can't escape
thru the rocker breather or PCV fast enough. I wouldn't be surprised to
find fresh oil on the inside firewall, too. That would have gone by the front
main seal. But a simple compression check or a Monoxide sniffer in the
radiator cap opening will tell you if there's metal missing in one bore. In any
case, your Spring Project will be an overhaul- or at least a partial tear-down
to locate the source of the popping. How old is the harmonic balancer? If
the outer ring of your balancer rotated, you could have radically advanced
the timing trying to get back to a non-true Top Dead Center mark. And I STILL
find people that haven't changed the fragile spring-pin holding the
distributor drive gear onto distributors- either stock or aftermarket! Those pins
sometimes only partlally shear, allowing the gear to twist on the shaft and
changing ignition timing. Good luck- J Deryke