[DeTomaso] Big Bend ORR Parking Lot Tech Session

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Apr 27 15:19:42 EDT 2009

In a message dated 4/27/09 6:31:18 AM, tomdiiulio at gmail.com writes:
snip.....
> ...i learned i had my tires over-inflated (44psi)  and will run at a much
> lower pressure (32-35) in the future for a smoother ride and more road
> contact....

Congrat's. Tom. FWIW, 44 psi tire pressure might be a good data point for
you to remember. In autocross and open-track, we routinely ran up to 52 psi
in the rears and 46 psi in our Pantera's fronts for more steering precision
and better corner handling. The late 'Vettes we successfully competed against
also ran such pressures. Very little tread rise occurs with higher
pressures on most radial tires, and they run cooler due to reduced case flex, so
running with lower pressures might only make the ride more comfortable. Some
drivers don't like the higher steering precision ('nervousness' some call it).
We still do long-distance highway tours (500-600 miles one-way) at 42/frt &
46 rears. Cheers- J Deryke