[DeTomaso] zf 5th gear

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Apr 27 00:31:04 EDT 2009

I think some of your motor mount bolts, or the mount itself, is broken or
loose. The only reason I usually find for a well-adjusted ZF popping out of
gear (except for massive internal wear), is the engine moving under bumps or
torque and that doesn't happen if things are nice 'n tight. There is a
single rubber disc between the two halves of each aluminum motormount. Over time
and thanks to the normal 200+ degree heat around them, the engine side of
each disc compresses more than the outside. That puts a bend in the bolts
going into the block, eventually snapping the heads off. Look up there and see
how many bolts still have their heads, and what the condition of those poor
discs are at their edges. My best guess- J Deryke