[DeTomaso] Call from Tom Di Iulio  - Re:  Big Bend ORR

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Sun Apr 26 23:18:12 EDT 2009

We just got back from BBORR and had a terrific time.  It is beautiful
country and my brother and I took the opportunity the day before the race to
go into Big Bend National Park and hike the Santa Elena Canyon
http://www.americansouthwest.net/texas/big_bend/santaelena1_l.html  through
which the Rio Grand River flows through.  Spectacular topography with 1000
foot cliffs on each side.

The race went well for us and we added the complexity of different drivers
in each direction.  I say it is more complex because your initial run is
learning and getting comfortable with your role as either driver or
navigator. By flipping roles, you don't get the benefit of applying the
lessons learned. My brother nailed his time as driver on the first leg into
Sanderson.  His performance put the pressure on me to get it correct on the
return run back to Fort Stockton.  With Mike Frazier's help, we know at our
target speed of 110 MPH, how much time should have elapsed at different
points along the course.  We adjust our speed accordingly along the way.

I was a second slow about 1/2 mile out and accelerated to 120mph to try to
close the time gap by the finish. Based on our own stop watch calculation,
we thought we were close, but with 25 other competitors in our class, one
can't be sure.

At the banquet awards ceremony the announcer stated that 1st and 2nd place
were represented by two of the oldest cars in the entire event.  We were
optimistic when we heard that comment.  Unfortunately, we were announced in
second place and seasoned participants who drive a Cobra, earned first.  As
Mike Drew pointed out, they were .003 MPH off the 110 target speed; however,
we were only .007 MPH off the target speed.  We lost by .004 MPH!!!  These
events are very competitive.

Dan Mixon mentioned that my car ran well and it did; but not perfect.  I was
thrilled that efforts I had taken to elevate my PCV valve out of my valve
cover with a new riser. It worked at eliminating the suction of oil into the
base of my carb.  I had plumped in an oil/water separator into the hose
between the PCV valve and the base of the carb to confirm this was the case.
Although the best evidence was that my spark plugs were very clean and not
oil fouled as they generally were previously.  On the negative side, my
engine developed a vibration at the higher RPMs.  This vibration feels as if
the motor is not balanced properly - although, I do not believe that this is
the case.  After dropping my trailer off at Grays today, I drove the car
home and it had the vibration at lower RPMs as well.  I have had these exact
same symptoms before and it was due to a misfire caused by a failing MSD
Coil.  I had sent this very coil back to MSD for repair and they returned it
to me repaired - or so I thought.  At this moment, I am confident it was the
coil and will swap it out for another to confirm.  Despite the
misfire/vibration, the car had plenty of pep.

Team Pantera had a great time and I am certain the others will chime in with
their experience.

JT