[DeTomaso] Rear sway bar frame mounts

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sun Apr 26 12:30:28 EDT 2009

Well, -that- was a chore.  In preparation for receiving a set of
sphereballs and new greaseable bushing for my rear sway bar, I decided
it was time to remove the old one.

Know that many folks who have never removed the frame mount brackets
before (at the rear of the car) have broken the bolt portion clean
off..... I decided to b very cautious in that area.  I started by giving
them all a coat of a penetrating oil and let it sit for a while.  After
that I slowly began loosening the nuts.  When a nut became difficult to
continue, I moved on to the next one, coming back to the other later.
This went on for nearly an hour, but I finally managed to get all the
nuts off.  It was a great relief.  So why were they hard to unscrew?

Well because the undercoating had been applied -after- the sway bar
mounts had been put on.  DUH!  I had thought as much when inspecting the
nuts before applying the penetrating oil.  But when the mounts finally
came off, and I was greeted by nice plain shiny paint underneath... I
knew for certain.

So this should be a cautionary tale for anyone removing original rear
sway bar frame mounts.  If you have undercoating in place, please take
your time, try to clean off as much as you can ahead of time.  People
have broken these off and it's a bear to set back up because it's not
just a through-hole bolt, it's welded to the frame and to replace it
ain't fun.

We have another Pantera member here in Spokane who has a broken one and
we really need to get after it one of these days.

Things are starting to come together nicely.  All my brakes are now
installed (no fluid or bleeding yet).  Another Caution, when using the
Porterfield rear pads, you -must- grind or file down the pin on the back
of the piston side pad, otherwise you -will- punch a hold in the
piston... and you really don't want to do that.  I ground mine down with
a Dremel (yea, yea... I lack the basic he-man shop tools), until it
cleared the groove in the piston.

I'm considering filling the ZF with lube prior to install, that way I
know I can get all 3.5 quarts in to it, in one shot, by just tipping the
tranny sideway.  It should add that much weight, especially as we are
using an engine hoist to put it in.

Well, off to church for this morning, hopefully I'll get to work on it
more this afternoon.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie