[DeTomaso] Brake Switch Frustration

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Wed Apr 22 11:28:06 EDT 2009

Charles & Thomas

It is the switch that actuates the brake lights.  Yes, when I tracked the
car, I had a very heavy brake foot.

As Thomas points out, it simply screws in and problems do not reflect an
installation issue.  I cannot determine a manufacturer's stamp on the
switch; however, they are all identical in shape. Although, newer ones are
pretty yellow zinc plated.  I do have a hydraulic parking brake that would
subject them to extended periods under pressure.  I seldom use the hydraulic
parking brake and have not determined the application of the line lock to
immediately precede the switch failure. Although, admittedly, I am rarely
the one to recognize my lack of brake lights; generally, it is another Space
City member who points it out to me.  I am never quite certain when it
actually fails.

Years back, I went through the catalogs in search of the often suggested VW
replacement switch. I didn't find a VW or other hydraulic switch that
cleanly fit the location.  If someone has a part number reflecting
otherwise, please fill me in on it.

Otherwise, I am not going back to the hydraulic switch, I am going to
engineer an alternative approach.

Thanks for your input

JT

Charles McCall skrev:
> Dear John,
>
> While acknowledging that I know absolutely nothing about the stock brake
> switch, are you sure the problem is the switch? 5 failures, all in the
> same
> car or from both? I'd respectfully suggest that it's an installation
> problem
> rather than a problem with the switch itself. Could the geometry be off on
> your particular car which means stressing part of the switch until it
> breaks? Do you have an usually heavy brake foot? ;-)

It is an hydraulic switch that is mounted in the distribution block
beneath the master cylinder. No geometry issues possible without gross
incompetence during install :-)

I have also not heard that this part should be a problem, although mine
does take a bit of break effort to close.

Are these switches OEM or some aftermarket switch of questionable quality?

Didn't switches from the old beetle fit?

--
Real life:   Thomas Törnblom             Email:  Thomas.Tornblom at Hax.SE
Snail mail:  Banvallsvägen 14            Phone:    +46 18 444 33 21