[DeTomaso] NY Pantera registered for Gumball 3000 May 1-8

Mark McWhinney msm at portata.com
Mon Apr 20 16:11:16 EDT 2009

Hi Boyd,

That is good to know.

Thanks for stepping up to the plate!

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: detomaso-bounces at realbig.com [mailto:detomaso-bounces at realbig.com]
On Behalf Of boyd casey
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2009 11:01 AM
To: adin at frontier.net
Cc: detomaso at realbig.com
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] NY Pantera registered for Gumball 3000 May 1-8

That's old news. I met the guy when he responded to my Vitaloni mirrors
for
sale on Ebay for $119.95. Like a real business tycoon I asked him if he
were
a POCA member or if he subscribed to "the list" The answer to both
questions
was "No". Being the consummate businessman I told him if either joined
POCA
or subscribed to the list he could bu the mirrors for $50.00 instead of
$119.95. Being of at least average intelligence it didn't take Robert
long
to decide that singing up for POCA or the list was a "Good Idea". I told
him
besides saving $69.00 on the purchase of the mirrors the information and
the
camaraderie he would get from the other members was in fact "priceless".
He
lives on Long Island , like me, so I was encouraged to have another
Pantera
owner in my neck of the woods and involved on the "Big List". It turns
out
it was some of the best advice he could have gotten ( I am not taking
credit
, the value of membership and participation in this forum is self
evident
after one look) (unless you are "Rainman")  In fact if it weren't for
his
signing up when he did there is a real chance he would not have made it
the Rally. It turns out that he ran into a series of problems and his
car
was not running the week before he was supposed to be having his car
shipped
to PI motorsports for the finishing touches to be added before the
event..
As usual the members came through and gave him the information and
advice
necessary to get his car running in time for his departure for the West
Coast. He came by my house and picked up a pair of mirrors for his car
the
day before it was scheduled to be picked up by the transport. He will be
the
first Pantera to be seen in public ( by an estimated 200 million world
wide
viewing audience )with the Vitaloni "Turbo Racing" mirrors with the new
custom Blue and Silver metallic "Isis" logos on them.that I am the
exclusive
world wide distributor for ( shameless plug ) So for those of you who
may
not have been paying attention there was a steady weeks worth of posts
by
the "Newcomer " or fans of the "newcomer" that details the trials and
tribulations of his race to get his car done. You can see many of his
posts
are time stamped at 2:00 am eastern time when he was still out in his
garage
working on getting his car running. He had told me he was sponsored in
an
upcoming "Gumball Rally" I had never heard of it and didn't pay much
attention to  it. I was more interested in helping him get his car
running.
After he had it running I asked him what all the Hub Bub was about the
"Gumball Rally and why he was so bent out of shape trying to get ready.
( He
had not mentioned his pending participation on the list) When I got the
details and found out the entry fee was $44,000.00 and that he had been
sponsored I understood why he had been so frantic. I announced his
pending
participation in the Gumball Rally before he mentioned it to the list. I
think he was too preoccupied with getting ready to think about the
potential
interest it would generate on the list. As soon as I mentioned it all
the
"Naysayers" came out of the wood work. People who haven't had their cars
on
the road in ten years were full of criticism for the way he had failed
prepare his car and some not believing he was actually in the event or
spouting about the "celebrity assholes" that were involved in the event
.
And then there were even those who didn't believe that he could have
been
entered in a rally with a $44K entry fee.  Of course the "naysayers were
far
outnumbered by the members who thought it was the coolest thing since
sliced
bread and had nothing but praise and support for the guy for even
attempting
to enter let alone nailing a sponsorship ( after all he is just a
"regular
Guy" no celebrity or big corporate affiliation. I am proud to say that
when
I told him to sign up ( and gave up the $70.00 in profit I would have
made
by selling him my mirrors on ebay and  for not bringing him into the
fold)
The members of the List came through just like I told him they would and
they made me proud to be affiliated with such a great group of people.
I wish Robert and Justin all the luck in the world. For those of you
with
kids at home or if you are still young enough or just young at heart The
Gumball Rally is supposed to have major portions of the event broadcast
on
MTV. It is expected to be seen by a world wide viewing audience of over
200
million people.
Boyd