[DeTomaso] FUEL TANK RENEW Re:  FUEL TANK

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Apr 20 13:47:48 EDT 2009

In a message dated 4/20/09 7:34:05 AM, erpike at ymail.com writes:

> Will a renewed tank really give a resonable service life both from a
> rust standpoint and the durabiity of the coating matererial?

Plastic coatings including epoxies are often attacked by modern gas
additives and alcohols, and can loosen up to forever plug filters, carb jets or
injectors. The chemically-reactive non-plastic coatings seem more stable to
fuels.   I've 'renewed' a few tanks at home, using concrete driveway etch
(Phosphoric acid, not Hydrochloric acid). Phosphoric is a rather weak acid that
prefers to attack rust rather than clean steel. Once the tank is out, you
dilute the acid to about 10%, fill the tank to the top with the mixture and let
it set overnight. Empty it out (remember, there's about 22 gallons so use a
plastic garbage can or the like) and examine: the innards should be
flat-white (an iron phosphate coating). If not, refill and check again the next
day. Setting the tank in the sun will speed things up. Once the inside is all
white, rinse thoroughly and its ready to use.
If there's a small or even a medium pinhole, after etching it can be
professionally welded, brazed or coated with Bondo which is completely impervious
to gasoline. Good luck- J Deryke