[DeTomaso] Post Race Report

LaurieFerrari at aol.com LaurieFerrari at aol.com
Mon Apr 20 02:13:18 EDT 2009

First of all, thank you TBorcich. That was one of the nicest letters I've
ever received.  Fortunately I am part of a program called "Community  Based
Instruction."  I must have a rationale for any trip with  pre and post
lessons and there must be well documented academic, culturally  enriching or
pre-vocational goals involved (like the  race, of course).  We've been to so
many places, I can't even  list all here. As example, the Disney Concert Hall,
Getty Museum,  Petersen & Nethercutt Auto Museums, History and Science
Museums, Training  school for the Guide Dogs of America, LA Times' writing,
printing and test  kitchen divisions. We've been whale watching and we're going
to Ports  o' Call for a "Vocational 75 min. harbor cruise upcoming.  We've
been to Descanso Gardens for agricultural lessons and  had a plot for flowers
and vegetables.  With few  exceptions we use public transportation as that
skill is a big  part of the program as well.
Since I've been in this position, I've learned how to get all  over the
city myself using buses, Dashes, and all the variety of new trains  we have in
LA.  Sometimes I think about how Mad Dawg had an  instrumental part on the
building of the Red Line Metro Project from  our Valley to Downtown LA.  Oh
yes... we've done class research on the fast  Italian trains." I recall so
many years ago when I first met MD  at Willow Springs and asked, "How can an
underground train be safe in  earthquake country?"  He assured me that being
underground on  these trains was safer than anywhere else.  I believed him
then.. but  now, knowing him better and his Dare Devil nature, I pray every
time we're on  the thing : )
So..... the race was great today.  My best pictures were taken  from the
top of the big Ferris Wheel. Post race I enjoyed  sitting outdoors at a nice
fish restaurant on Pine St.  It was a hot  dehydrating day, requiring much
water. They put the water in Tecate plastic  cups.
My greatest critique of the day was finding that the Long Beach Police were
 ticket happy.  I couldn't turn a corner without someone getting a ticket
for either walking somehow illegally (evidently).  I asked and a  walking
ticket was at least $100.  Then, so many cars got moving violations  for
something either so minor or unnoticeable.  It was so  extreme that I was almost
afraid to drive out of there. Imagine  if they'd stop me and see my Tecate
cup of "WATER."  I had  to go a few blocks out of the race vicinity to get to
the 710  frwy. home, to avoid all the police cars with flashing lights
everywhere.
Now think about it.  The economy isn't the best, multi-thousands  of people
patronized the race, all the restaurants and the  many stores of Long
Beach. Couldn't the police have given people some  slack?    It was rather
obnoxious.
Except for that it was a delightful race and day.   Congratulations to all
in their Dallara-Honda Indy race cars,  especially:
#1 Dario Franchitti, #2 Will Power, #3 Tony Kanaan, and #4 Danica  Patrick
Ciao,
Laurie
steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220572844x1201387506/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26