[DeTomaso] This sucks, up date

P. Rimov rimov at charter.net
Sun Apr 19 23:54:09 EDT 2009

Ok, thank to all that have replied: Brent, Chris, Mike, Bill, David, Will &
Asa:

Life is better as I was able to get it to start, ever so briefly. And run
for a few minutes. It will not run under 890rpm and wants to idle a bit
higher nor will it start or run with less than 18 initial timing, but it did
start and run. (Is 18 degree BTC too much initial timing?)

I re-installed & adjusted the distributor, checked all the wiring &
connections and found a couple of the terminals did not have ideal contact
in the relay housings and I may have reversed one of the wires on the
alternator.The alternator is has a Ford 3 prong plug where the first wire go
to the fuse panel and the second wire attaches to the hot side of the
solenoid, I believe that is correct.  As expected it did not run
particularly well until we gave it additional fuel and opened up the
throttle blades quite a bit. It is no where close to drive as soon as I give
it additional fuel over 900  it begins stumbling and coughing and while
looking at the spark map data logger the distributor is not advancing at
all. I have checked and double checked the wiring diagrams and all is the
way it is suppose to be.

Engine Break Down:

351c: bored 10 over with forged flat top pistons, 10.25:1 CR, 2V closed
chamber iron heads with stainless valves, Com cam 531/531 222/226 110 lobe
separation, Weiand-X

Holley Commander TBI with 65 lb fuel injectors, wide band, 20 lb fuel
pressure, in tank fuel pump with in-tank filter and external in-line high
pressure fuel filter, autolite plugs gaped at  035, Stock Ford distributor
with remote TFI ignition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Paul