[DeTomaso] Vacuum Leak

Trevor Fougere trevor at fougere.com
Thu Apr 16 13:41:07 EDT 2009

I braked hard the other day to avoid trimming someone's toenails.

Immediately after that I experienced both a high idle and a hard brake pedal
with no power braking assist.  I disconnected the vacuum hose at the rear of
the carb, covered the nipple with a vacuum cap, and the high idle problem
immediately disappeared.  Leaving the hard brake pedal / no power brake
assist. At this point I am assuming I have a leak somewhere in the line
running to the Master Brake Cylinder and that it's a leak and not the MBC
that has failed.

I am curious what steps I should take next to track this down and identify
exactly what needs to be repaired.  Your input is always essential to this
arm chair mechanic.

Thanks in advance.