[DeTomaso] Anybody know just about how many roadworthyPanterasexist in the USA?

www.DeTomasoRegistry.org Pantera007 at provamo.com
Wed Apr 15 20:53:29 EDT 2009

I've waited for others to offer their opinions before I step into this
topic...  The DeTomaso Registry seems like the best/most accurate/most
current method to determine the answer to this (and related) questions.
This is also a question that comes up frequently enough that I'll address it
on the Registry FAQs page soon.

While vendors have customer lists, the comments about the (in)accuracy
of their count are true, while good, they are not the best method for a
count.

I have asked for Registry contributions from the vendors, knowing that some
may decline sighting privacy issues (which the Registry also addresses...)
and I have been supported well by some vendors, while still keeping their
customer base confidential.

I am in the midst of a development environment upgrade and can't run a
custom query, but some search functions (search by country) already exist,
and are available to the Registry members.

The DeTomaso Registry has now passed more than 2,100 entries, and only a
relatively small number of these cars have been assigned the category of
"destroyed".
I KNOW there are a LOT of cars not represented (yet) in the Registry, as I
personally still have a backlog of cars I intend to add, as time permits.

Part of an extensive article/series of articles/(book?) on the DeTomaso
production that I am working on for the Registry website will include a
current estimate.  In addition, I am detailing the build process (along with
a map of the production floor), ship & delivery details, production figures
by month, etc.  It has turned into a huge task, and thus a number is not
ready at this time.

Thanks for all the direct inquiries I have received, I am sorry I may not
have responded directly to everyone, thus this general post.

Chuck Melton
www.DeTomasoRegistry.org

I'd bet the number is closer to 1,500 that actually run and are roadworthy )
licensed and tagged in the 50 states.

There must be a way to find out, even if it's a state by state effort
searching for DeTomaso Registrations through DMV offices.

In my neck of the woods, I know of mine, two that are driven ( both on
Hilton Head Island ) and one in Savannah sitting in the same garage for the
last 30 years.
At least one in Charleston that runs.

I bought www.detomasopanteraregistry.com a few years ago in anticipation of
getting a count, but it soon became apparent that the ownership is
scattered and true to the Pantera mystique and/or culture less likely to go
with the flow and join en masse. ( I haven't done anything with it, so don't
bother clicking on it ).

We are a collection of strong individuals, perhaps that's  the only REAL
requirement ( other than $ ) to become an owner, I have yet to meet
a bigger group of A type personalities with a singular common interest
anywhere.

Long live us while we care for these fabulous cars for next group who will
share custody of these machines in the years ahead.
Morbid thoughts, but I have to say that when I go to cars shows and I see
all the great pre and post war cars, I often get lost in ( ADD?)
thought wondering about the people who bought them new and those that came
later.
Just how cool was the guy who bought a Cord 810 Conv brand new?  What was
the motive behind a guy who didn't race
who walked into a Ford dealer in 1965 and bought a Cobra?

Michael Shortt

Michael Shortt

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 2:27 AM, <JDeRyke at aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 4/12/09 8:43:07 PM, fresnofinches at aol.com writes:
>
> > I'll say 2000 to 2500, at the VERY most.
> >
> I think Steve Wilkinson, who sees and deals with far more Panteras than
> anyone else, has estimated that there were around 6500 Panteras of all
> models
> sold world-wide. About half are still mobile, again world-wide. So Larry's
> estimate, for the U.S, is as accurate as anyone's. FWIW- J Deryke

> The Average US Credit Score is 692. See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!
> (

http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221621489x1201450100/aol?redir=http
:%2F%2F

--