[DeTomaso] OT mechanics info on rust busters

kirkbrit at yahoo.com kirkbrit at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 14 14:11:09 EDT 2009

This information comes from another group and, as yet, I am unable to find the article to read it carefully.  I can vouch for Kroil as seeming superior for the task.  Peoria based Caterpiller uses it exclusively and is how I learned of it.

Machinist's Workshop magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment. The results are as follows;

Penetrating oil..... Average load
None ..................516 pounds
WD-40 ................238 pounds
PB Blaster ............214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ..... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50-50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

Regards,
Robert Kirk
www.kirks-auto.com