[DeTomaso] Distributor

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Apr 12 15:00:55 EDT 2009

In a message dated 4/11/09 10:41:53 AM, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> I currently run a Mallory small distributor. It has only 3 5/8" dia cap.
> The motor is out, but I remember it being very close to the firewall. I'm
> going to be running FAST EFI and would like to use their 8377 crank trigger
> distributor but it has a 5 1/8" diameter. Too fat, no? I know the 8577
> should fit and it is 4 5/8", I think??
> What if I swap the motor mounts? The holes are offset. My rough
> calculations would put it back by about 5/8".
> My rear ZF mounting tabs have been modified so moving back doesn't matter
> with the mounts.
> Thoughts?

Swapping the motormounts will move the whole powertrain back, making plenty
of room for a big-cap distributor. I did this 5 or so years ago with zero
problems so far,   and only needed to readjust the gearshift rod by sliding
it in the u-joint splines. The exhausts, fuel lines, wires and throttle cable
all moved with the engine without readjusting. Or, since one of our factory
motormounts was drilled with two holes for use on either side, an
enterprising owner can add a second hole pretty much wherever he wishes. But the 5/8"
measurement is coincidently pretty close to the amount an oil pan can move
back before it hits the lower (removeable) crossmember, give-or-take a bit.
Your ZF mounts are already set for this for this but others will need to
modify them for the backward shift. Good luck- J DeRyke