[DeTomaso] 351C timing

Dave Londry davel at emspace.com
Sat Apr 11 16:31:07 EDT 2009

OK you tuners, I need some advice please.

I wanted to get to what sounds like the conventional Cleveland timing
recipe (8 deg static and 36 deg total @3000)
 before I started to mess with it
I inherited an MSD 8577 (billet, small dia.) with heavy silver + light
silver advance springs.
Right now I have
10 deg @1000
20 deg @ 2400
28 deg @ 3000
which looks like the  curve in the MSD manual for heavy silver + light
silver with 6 or 7 deg of static advance.

It seems to me that I need to touch it up a bit to get to 8 deg static,
 but I really have to sub a light blue spring for the heavy silver one
so the numbers will look like
  8 deg @ 0
30 deg @ 2400
35 deg @ 3000

Am I headed in the right direction here?
If I try for a reasonable total advance with the present spring set
  I'll have a static number that I don't think will hot-start.

tks in advance (haha)
dave