[DeTomaso] Speeding ticket check returned

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 13:02:48 EDT 2009

Double jeopardy dosen't exist in this case because he has not been tried.
Under double jeopardy you can't be tried twice for the same crime "If your
are found not guilty" in the first trial. You can be charged and have the
charges "Null process" which means the state has declined to prosecute but
can charge you later if they feel like it or if they obtain more or new
evidence. In a Mistrial they can try you again. Also A judge is not
compelled to accept your guilty plea unconditionally. If you say I'ill plead
guilty but the charges are bogus and that implies you are not really
admitting guilt they won't accept it. It leaves the door open for appeal.
 That's why sometimes they require full elocution when you plead guilty,
this is usually reserved for serious crimes , not speeding tickets but you
have to get up in court and "Elocute" the nature or your guilt. Which is to
verbally spell out your actions leading up to the commission of the stated
offence. Most tickets Have a box to check for guilty or not guilty if the
ticket were so marked and the guilty plea was checked I don't think the memo
would be a legal issue. If you were in court and pleaded guilty but said
"the whole thing is bogus and a scam " you could be held in contempt. The
thing politicians always do is plead "No Lo Contend re" Which means "No
Contest" you are not admitting guilt but your not denying it either you just
agree to accept the punishment.Boyd
AKA
 Hugh Boyd Casey Esq.