[DeTomaso] Fuel Gauge quit working

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Apr 9 01:14:38 EDT 2009

In a message dated 4/8/09 2:01:10 PM, panteradon at gmail.com writes:

> My car has been sitting for quite some time.  Now the fuel gauge does not
> work.  What is the best way to diagnose the problem?  Can the sending unit
> be pulled with the tank in the car?

Yes, with some difficulty. But first, check to see if the sending wire to
the fuel gauge is still connected. Adding a small-amperage 12VDC source from
a battery charger to the line off the sender wire should momentarily kick
the gauge needle to full. If not, the gauge may be disconnected or the
console' ground loose; the meter itself seldom fails.
To pull the sender, the drivers side rear quarter window with frame must be
pulled out. This is easy since only the gasket and old paint holds it in
the car body. A flat-blade screwdriver will start it out and your hands can
pull it the rest of the way. Then the sender and its 16" long float arm can be
pulled out the window opening. Fuel senders are not usually repairable
except for 2 things: old gas often turns to varnish and cements the resistor in
place. An overnight soak in paint thinner will free it up. And sometimes the
float perforates, fills with gas and sinks to the bottom. Floats are
laughably cheap at Pantera vendors. Complete senders are not (call around to the
Pantera vendors- some are much cheaper than others). Since the only senders
still available are the late L-moldel senders with the built-in fuel-out
line, a replacement sender has some extra value for pre-L cars. Good luck- J
Deryke