[DeTomaso] Fuel Gauge quit working

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Apr 8 22:32:13 EDT 2009

In a message dated 4/8/09 14 01 12, panteradon at gmail.com writes:

> My car has been sitting for quite some time.  Now the fuel gauge does not
> work.  What is the best way to diagnose the problem?  Can the sending unit
> be pulled with the tank in the car?

Although it's easier to pull the sender with the side window removed, I
believe you can pull it without removing the window first.   When I troubleshot
mine, the side window was out, which made it much easier.

There are three wires going to the sender; one is power for the needle, one
is power for the idiot light in the gauge, and the other is ground.

With the sender in your hand and the wires connected, and the ground wire
going to a good ground, you should be able to turn on the key, run the arm of the
fuel sender up and down and see the needle move on the gauge.

Give that a try, let us know what happens?