[DeTomaso] Hearing on California smog testing

Mark McWhinney msm at portata.com
Wed Apr 8 13:08:13 EDT 2009

That is just a bit of legislative legerdemain.  While the law would not directly ban black paint, it would set up requirements so that black cannot qualify.

BTW, I love snopes and use it frequently.  Just yesterday I used to shoot down a hoax being passed around about how to survive a heart attack.  However, you have to be careful with what they say and what they leave out about political and social issues.  In this case, snopes went to great lengths to show that the law does not directly ban black paint but glossed over the fact that the end result is the same.

I certainly encourage everyone to read through the original materials.  Thanks to the Internet, much of the government's law and plans are readily available to us.  Here is the PowerPoint from the CARB workshop last month.

http://tinyurl.com/cvkekl

Some things to note in the presentation:

- It does admit that black is "an issue" (page 8)

- New layers of regulation and paperwork (page 10)

- Only slight benefits from the solar reflective paints (pages 21, 23)