[DeTomaso] Window regulator adjustment

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Apr 7 23:37:31 EDT 2009

In a message dated 4/7/09 20 32 12, rfmccall at comcast.net writes:

> Does anyone have any tips or tricks for aligning the window regulators to
> achieve
> smooth operation? I bought new glass,whiskers,felt from Wilkinson. I can't
> get it
> to work smoothly no matter what I do. I have the "Vader" window lift
> setup.It worked
> great with the old glass and the worn out seals.
> I called Steve Wilkinson but he wasn't able to help .
> Any suggestions??

Adjusting the windows is indeed a black art.   The Vadar setup won't change
the fundamental issue, which is that the glass is encountering excessive drag
somewhere in the system.

Run the window all the way down, then disconnect it from the lift mechanism,
and slide it up and down by hand.   Does it go smoothly?

If not, loosen all the bolts that hold the various tracks etc. in place, and
try again.   Chances are the glass will now move smoothly, and the tracks may
move somewhat as the glass goes up and down.   What you have to do is find the
'happy spot'.

In my case, on my passenger door I had a problem that simply couldn't be
fixed.   It turned out that the channel that was welded on the inside of the door
was welded in the wrong place (or wrong angle).   The only way I could fix it
was to remove the door handle, and come in from the outside and whang/cut away
the offending portion of the channel (just the corner on the inboard side).
Works like a champ now.

Mike (unfortunately the door wasn't hung properly when the car was put
together years ago, and that needs a bit of adjustment...)