[DeTomaso] Bushing Removal

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Tue Apr 7 01:40:51 EDT 2009

John,

If you haven't already, read these articles.

First read: _http://www.panteraplace.com/page82.htm_
(http://www.panteraplace.com/page82.htm)  I  have the Terry tool and will be glad to lend it to you.

Then read: _http://www.panteraplace.com/page211.htm_
(http://www.panteraplace.com/page211.htm)  on  doing the job with some simple adapters, three saws,
and a vise. I have the  press adapters and the saws. I will be glad to lend them
to  you.

Then read: _http://www.panteraplace.com/page210.htm_
(http://www.panteraplace.com/page210.htm)  on  doing the job using a portable hydraulic press and
three saws. I have the  portable press, press adapters, and saws.  I will be glad
to lend  them to you.

Then read: _http://www.panteraplace.com/page210.htm_
(http://www.panteraplace.com/page210.htm)  on  how to easily separate the front ball joints from the
up right. This is not  actually required since you can leave the ball joints
attached to the a-arms and  separate the ball joint from the a-arms. When the
ball joints are separated from  the a-arms, the a-arms can be removed from the
chassis. Be aware that the  hub/rotor/ball joints is a very heavy assembly. I
would recommend always leaving  one ball joint connected to the an a-arm while
you disconnect the other ball  joint and remove the a-arm.

Fred's tools and my adapters/saws are quite cheap to ship around,  but
require a pretty stout vise and some moderate muscle. The hydraulic press  with
press adapters and saws is more expensive to ship around and you need  to buy a
Harbor Freight (or equivalent) 4 ton hydraulic bottle jack. The bottle  jack
costs about $15. The portable press will enable you to press  bushings in and out
like a gentleman.

Let me know what you decide.

Have fun,

SOBill  Taylor