[DeTomaso] Fans of the newcomer

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Mon Apr 6 00:24:03 EDT 2009

When you put it on TDC for number one, how did you do it?  Did you make
sure #1 piston was on the compression stroke?  The crank pulley will hit
TDC twice, once for compression, once for exhaust/intake.  You want to
make sure #1 is coming up on the compression stroke.  It is very
possible to install the distributor 180 degress out of phase, but I
don't believe you've pulled the distributor so that should not be an issue.

If you are not getting any backfiring through the carb or the exhaust, I
seriously doubt you have a blown valve.  In addition your compression
test looks okay.  However, and take this seriously, when doing a
compression test, most tested will -hold- the compression, so
essentially they will pump up to the highest reading.  The most
important compression reading is on the very first stroke of the
engine.  You should get greater than 75% of your total.  i.e. you should
get about 85 on the first stroke minimum, then you might end up eith 115
to 125 after three or four strokes.  If any cylinder gets a very low
reading on the first stroke, you could have a valve problem.  I'm
doubting that's an issue for you though as your problem would be
isolated to one cylinder and the car would still run fine.

Your plugs are fouled with gas, that means they are not igniting, or are
igniting at the wrong time.  This speaks to a either a timing problem or
a problem getting spark to the plugs, ala coil, cap, rotor, etc.

What is the gap on your plugs?
After you set TDC on #1, you looked at the position of the rotor, and
routed plugs accordingly.
You then ran the engine for a while, setting basic timing.
After you ran it, did you again set TDC on #1 and again check the rotor
position?
If not.... DO IT.  If the rotor is now off from what it was, you
probably have a sheared pin on the gear of the distributor.
Have you found another carb to substitute?  If it's not ignition, then
it's the carb pouring gas into the intake.
Have you made sure all the vacuum lines are hooked up properly?  Check
the carb and the intake for any open ports, if you find any, find the
hose that went to them, or plug them.

I want you to get your digital camera out.
Take the carb off the car and put it on the bench.
Take six photos, one of each side, the top and the bottom.
Send them directly to me, I'll post them on a site so everybody can take
a look.  If there is something goofy with the exterior of the carb,
we'll let you know.
Photograph the inside of the distributor cap.
Photograph the rotor, as it is installed on the distributor.
Remove the rotor and photograph the distributor mechanism under the rotor.
Photograph the front of the engine, get as much in one photo as you can.
Photograph the back of the engine, get as much in one photo as you can.
Again, send all the photos to me.  I have web space and can post them
for reference.
Did the distributor come with the engine or did you recently replace it?

The fan wiring should not affect the engine, as long as you are getting
a full 12V at the coil.

Please answer all the questions posed above, take the photos requested
and email them.  Past that, there isn't much else we may be to help with.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA