[DeTomaso] Fans of the newcomer

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 22:48:13 EDT 2009

> Car was now able to start ...still chugging,,,but holding 800-900 rpm and
> smoke....Found timing mark and set timing to 16 degrees.
>
> No change to car...still chugging major hesitation  .

16 degrees seems a little high.  My Pantera starts to ping pretty badly over
8 degrees.  Is that where it runs best?  I have to admit I often set my
timing by ear; but a vacuum gauge can help.  It can also tell you where your
power valve is opening up.  I turn the distributor from where it's a little
retarded (about TDC or a tick under) and see where vacuum increases and
stabilizes when I advance the distributor.  Then I retard timing to just as
the vacuum stabilizes.  Then take it out to "a legaly sanctioned test&tune
facility" and measure my time slips or seat of the pants to see if I'm
pinging or slowing down or speeding up as I advance it a bit more.  It
should be a little hard to start with it set at 16 degrees.  On later Ford
electronic distributors one of the wires would retard the timing about 4
degrees to assist with starting, while still providing advance for emissions
and fuel efficiancy.

sean

--
'65, '68 Mustangs, '68 Cougar, '78 R100/7, '60 Metro, '59 A35, '71 Pantera