[DeTomaso] Throw-Out Bearing Incorrectly Installed?

Dan Courtney dfcex at pacbell.net
Sun Apr 5 15:19:10 EDT 2009

My helper installed the clutch, but I didn't think it was moved from how it came from the clutch shop. Anything is possible. Can you tell through the inspection window (wish, wish)?
The clutch pedal does not feel very firm, it feels a little soft actually, but there is sporadic and rough resistance as you depress the pedal, there are several points where it it feels like you are bending something. As you get to the floor it requires a good amount of force. Maybe I'm just not used to this rebuilt pressure plate, but it feels strange.

Prior to the first test drive, I could not the clutch to disengage at all. The theory was a stuck disk, so I moved the clutch linkage forward one notch / spline and that gave me plenty of movement, then I moved the linkage back to the regular position, adjusted it, and it worked fine for the first few miles, then got harder and harder to shift.

My crazy plan was to perform the engine break-in during the 500 mile drive from San Diego to SF for the Giant's Home Opener. It's beginning to look like I may be eating peanuts on Southwest.

Dan

Dan F. Courtney

La Jolla, CA

(858) 551-5455 Phone