[DeTomaso] HELP Removing Colt Mirrors

Dave McManus dave at damardirect.com
Fri Apr 3 23:11:49 EDT 2009

I am going to remove the Colt mirrors that are fastened with adhesive to the
side windows. I imagine they were installed in 1989. Looking down from the
top to the mounting area, I think there is a bracket or plate with several
small metal studs on the mounting plate, between the plate & mirror body.
Looks like the mirror mounts to a plate/bracket and then the plate/bracket
is glued to the glass. The studs seem to be about 1/8" dia x 1/16 tall. Can
the mirror body be removed from the plate? Seems to me the plate/bracket
would be easier to remove w/o the mirror body.

The underside of the mirror body has an allen head screw inboard of center.
I also noticed what looks like a small access panel held with a counter sunk
phillip head screw. FWIW, the mirrors are electric but the controller was
never installed.

Obviously I would like to remove the mirrors and adhesive in the easiest and
least destructive manor and remove the adhesive. I plan to install the
Vitaloni mirrors from Boyd Casey.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you,

IndyDave