[DeTomaso] pictures

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 15:32:05 EDT 2009

Seriously folks, has anybody ever had ANY Pantera ever starve for air for
reasons other than a restrictive cleaner assembly or dirty air filter
material?

We are talking about an Internal Combustion Engine, which is nothing more
than an air pump to begin with, I have no idea of the volume of air required
to mix with a gallon of gas ( a simple google search would probably answer
that ) but I can assure you that if hooking it up to an A/C unit was
something that would have worked that Smokey Yunick would have done in 50
years ago.  The engine SUCKS all the air it wants, I see the main job as
being able to give it non turbulent, cooler (rather than hotter), clean
air from which to draw what it wants.  Unless you are tuned to take
advantage of forced air ( Blower, Supercharger, NOS ) I don't think that any
form of forced feeding is going to make a great deal of difference.
Personally, I think all the scoops, RAM AIR gimmicks of the 60 and 70's was
more about looks because in every instance these lead to paper filters which
restricted airflow to the limit of the filter material. PERIOD.  The
advantage was in the cooler temp of the air, not the force feeding, these
ain't french geese and we ain't making pate!  Stuffing it in won't make it
better unless you richen the mixture to the same formula, otherwise it would
simply lean it out, thus back to the limit of what the engine wants and the
limit of the restrictive material of the filter elements and being tuned for
that level of air induction.

OK, I'm ready, go ahead spank me and tell me how many ways I am wrong.

Speaking of which, I visited Atlanta last weekend and stopped by Dick Koch's
house, if you want to see a photo of his bad ass Twin turbo NOS injected
engine, go to my website www.michaelspantera.com, select Photos, go down to
Pantera Friends and then go to the bottom of the page.

His air cleaners to feed that beast are basically two larger than average K
& N cone style filters near the rear windows ( which have been removed )
because it will suck all the air it wants - all by itself and I seriously
doubt that any other engine out there in Panteraland will requires more air
than this one.

Michael in Savannah