[DeTomaso] Fwd: fixing the economy (npc content)

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 11:12:40 EDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: boyd casey <boyd411 at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 11:10 AM
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] fixing the economy (npc content)
To: Gray Gregory <rgg at gregorycook.com>

I have to differ on one point. The stock price does not reflect the value of
gm or for that part any other company most of the time. If you look at the
NAV ( net asset value) and what percentage if the NAV is reflected in the
current stock price it will range from a fraction  (like .4) to a multiple (
like 2.0) So sometimes the stocks price rflects only 40 % of the actual
value of the assest of the company ( this does not include the value of it a
a money makeing enterprise just hard assets or Liquidation value) sometimes
the stock price id\s double the NAV because of the earning petential of the
enterprise. What ever the earning potential of a company is if it's debt out
weighs it's potential to service it'debt at any concivable realistic level
of profiability yo have a problem. Its like trying to bail on the titanic
with a bucket . The water is coming in faster then you can bail it out (only
the water is money) The actual price of the stock rarely relects the actual
value of any company , If it did there would be very little trading,\.
People buy stock because they think the company is worth more then the stock
price . They sell because they think the company is worth less then the
sales price . In every transaction there is a buyer and and a seller so one
of them is wrong . The stock price rflects what some one is willing to pay
for it at any given time . sometimes it has absolutely no bearing on the
real value of the company. Do you think the value of a major large cap
company fluctuates by billions of  dollars everyday? It the opinions of the
traders that change not the value of the company. Warren buffet has become
the richest man in the country by finding companies who's stock price did
not accurately reflect the value of the company. GM was in trouble long
before the current economic fiasco. I remember doing an analysis of their
financials around three years ago . at that time and in
that business environment it would have taken them something like 50 years
to pay off their existing debt ( and their debt was growing not shrinking)
They were over burdened with legacy expenses from the pension fund, jobs
bank and other expenses they added several thousand dollars too the cost of
each car but did nothing the improve their profitability. They were expenses
that didn't add anything to the product or they business. It was doomed even
then. The problem was they would not have been able to sever those
relationships and obligations in that supposedly "up market" It took the
current collapse and environment of fear of loss to convince the public and
the unions and the bond holders that 10 % of something is better then 100%
of  nothing. I predict you will see a streamined  Bankruptcy and
reorganization ( one of the fastest in history ) that will leave us with a
GM that has been stripped of it's fat and its legacy obligation will have
gone the way of the Dinosaur. You will see a stripped out lean version of GM
with a much smaller product line , caps and controls on executive
compensation and an emphasis on R&D of Hybrid, electric and other
alternative energy solutions. You will also see a much greater utilization
 of cross model sharing  of major components. (like engines , transmissions
and platforms).  across a class of vehicles. This was already done on a much
smaller level with models like Pontiac sunbirds and cavilers  and camaros
and firebirds. But it is going to be taken to the next level . There will be
one basic platform for each class of vehicle (sub compact, compact, midsize,
full size) using the same platform and drive train components for each
vehicle in the same class. That allows utilization of one assembly line to
manufacture several different models with no retooling. They can make a
different model everyday of the week on the same line and just change the
trim and badging at the end of the line. This also allows for increases in
production if one model becomes more popular with out taking weeks to retool
or change the line. A perfect example is the Pontiac Solstice or the Saturn
Sky. They are the same car with slightly different trim. This next example
is a Chrysler but the concept is the same , the dodge neon and the PT
cruiser are both built on the same platform. These type of production
techniques first developed by the Japanese and combine them with a product
line up driven by customer demand not the ego centric design team that
decided Hummer H3's were what America needed. when gas was approaching $5.00
a gallon.
Just my 2 cents and as some of you already know i have too much time on my
hands and I had to use some of it up or the Government is likely to recall
it and redistribute it to someone who has less.
Boyd
(the opinions expressed here are those of the voices I hear in my head and
do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the heads owner )