[DeTomaso] 1972 detomaso pantera

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Thu Apr 2 14:47:18 EDT 2009

Short story, but applicable.

My Pantera Ran fine, just like you describe here, except I didn't have
a choke problem. My wife and I carpooled to work one day in the
Pantera and took it to lunch.  We stopped at the bank's drive-thru,
and stopped the car.  We do that to reduce the noise while banking.

We went to start the car and it ran terribly.  I got it limped to my
wife's office where it promptly died and would not restart.  It had
been running just fine until the bank.

Later that night, after work aand coming back to her office, we
finally ended up pulling the distributor to check the gear. The Gear
was fine.  The original timing link belt however, had jumped several
teeth. I could just barely see into the timing housing by peering
through the open distributor hole and see the cam gear was missing
nylon.

My point here is this... I doesn't matter how well it was running this
morning, yesterday or last week.  If you don't check the items
mentioned, you may be doing a lot of work only to increase the level
of frustration.  In my case, I could have replaced plugs, wires, cap,
rotor, carb, intake, rocker arms, heads, etc. and would -never have
fixed the problem.  Imagine -that- much frustration and cost.

So, your "one clue" is really not very valid until you check all the
other items.

The only reason two carb rebuilds end in the same symptom is either
because the rebuilder is totally inept (which I sincerely do -not-
believe), or the carb is -not- the problem.

Asa Jay