[DeTomaso] speedometer cable

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Thu Apr 2 07:10:28 EDT 2009

Justin Greisberg skrev:
> on my ZF trans, the speedometer fitting is "loose."  In other words, the entire speedo housing can rotate in the transmission case.  I cant tighten it because the arm of the speedo housing hits the case before it tightens down.  It apparently has been this way for years.  Is this normal?
The nut that holds the angle drive is left hand threaded in the drive
end and right hand threaded in the ZF end, and if the nut bottoms out in
one end before the other, then the drive will not be tight.

Unscrew the nut until the drive becomes loose in one end, and continue
one turn more, and then tighten it again. This will make the drive sit
one thread closer to the ZF. If still sloppy, repeat the procedure.

Cheers,
Thomas (been there, done that)