[DeTomaso] engine question

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Wed Apr 1 20:43:33 EDT 2009

Chris.  The 4-bolt question refers to the number of bolts holding each crank
journal.  If you have the oil pan off of your motor, roll it on the engine
stand (or bend over and look), and you'll see the 5 (?) bars across the
bottom of the block that hold the crank shaft in - those are the rod
journals.  If there are two bolts on each one, you have an engine with
"2-bolt mains" referring to the crank, or "main" bearings.  If there are 4
on each, 2 inner and 2 outer, you have a "4-bolt" engine.

All of the Pantera 351 Cleveland engines came with 4-bbl heads, the more
important question is whether they are closed or open (combustion) chamber.
You won't be able to tell that unless you pull the heads off of the engine.
Given the serial number of your car, if they are the original heads, they
could be either type.