[DeTomaso] engine question

Barry Seib oldwheel at mts.net
Wed Apr 1 00:44:11 EDT 2009

Thanks Asa Jay

Of course you're right About the D2AE. I must be getting sleepy (or addled).

My point was that D2AE block casting was used for lots of 2V engines with 2
bolt main caps as well as the CJet but the 1972 CJ engines ALL had 4 bolt
main caps installed. Any 351C blocks could be fitted with 4 bolt main caps,
but only the 1972-on Cobra Jet engines and the BOSS 351/HO were CERTAIN to
have them installed at the factory.

I've heard people say some 2V engines also had 4 bolt mains. I've never seen
evidence of that, but there's exceptions to most rules. I'm just a doubter.

As you probably know, it's possible to retrofit the 4 bolt caps in any 351C
block if you have them handy and want to drill and tap the holes required
and line hone the block to suit. Most people agree that the 4 bolt mains
offer added stability at seriously high RPM but are no advantage in most
strong 351C street engines. Maybe wise though with supercharging or big
Nitrous ?

Barry

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com wrote:
Tue Mar 31 22:17:19 CDT 2009

Chris,
If you have the original engine, you should be hard pressed to part with
it.  The serial number on the back of the block is about the only way
you can validate a "numbers matching" engine.  You toss that, and you'll
never get it back.

And Barry,  it's D2AE.  The "D" indicates it came from the 1970's, so
you -would- be correct in that respect, but Ford used an Alpha character
in that position, not a number. C= 60's, D=70's, E=80's.

http://www.351c.info/gallery2/v/asajay/351C_Build_2001/block_number.jpg.html

and you'll note in the photo linked above, it's the same casting as
Chris.  Mine was a 2-bolt block.  However, as Barry points out, it's
most likely a 4-bolt block based on the engine builds used in the Pantera.