[DeTomaso] Electronic ignition

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Sep 30 15:30:38 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/30/08 11:47:14 AM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:
snip.....
> It has no points but the pointless ignition is in the original distributor.
> I want to upgrade to a more modern electronic ignition and I am looking for
> input as to what brand /model of coil, distributor, plugs, wires etc. would
> be recommended.

I can tell you what worked for me on our street car. A factory Duraspark for
a Ford 400/429/460 is a drop-in replacement for a 351C, gear and all. An
e-coil for the '87-up Fords is more robust than the canful-of-oil style used
previously and needs zero modification with this distributor. If you screw up
somehow and lose the brainbox, they are $49 at any auto parts store in the civilized
world, even on Sundays. Racers also use them successfully. Its possible to
spend much more for the same or worse reliability and performance. And after
careful measurement between the 4" dia. small-cap distributor you have and the
firewall, you'll find if a 5-1/4" dia. big-cap distributor will fit your car.
FWIW, the distributors are identical, only the cap size varies, and that
determines the type of plug wires each cap takes (distributor insulators differ). If
a big cap won't clear your Pantera firewall by at least 1/4" and you still
want one, shifting the entire engine/transaxle backward a little is a Saturday
afternoon job with a hand drill & a floor jack, and solves the cap-clearance
issue without causing more trouble. Good luck- J DeRyke