[DeTomaso] Electronic ignition

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 30 15:04:10 EDT 2008

Look inside the distributor from inside the car.  You may have a Pertronix kit...Nothing wrong with that for a street car, even a very strong street car.  I have used a Dura Spark on some pretty starchy engines with no problems.  I'm sure the stock exhaust is replaced by now.  If it has 4 straight round mufflers at back, it has a Hall or Big Throats(?) exhaust.  If it has one square can on each side, it's stock.  If the square cans have braces from the inlet and two exhaust tips to the body, it's a GTS unit...maybe the headers too.  A 650cfm carb is OK too depending on what's inside the engine.  Get to know it a little better and you may find you don't need to change anything.
Any corrections, additions or deletions from the members?
Michael
Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa
Obama? Yomama!> Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:46:36 -0400> From: boyd411 at gmail.com> To: detomaso at realbig.com> Subject: [DeTomaso] Electronic ignition> > Thanks to everyone that contibuted info on my question concerning "weber> style"efi. I really appreciat all the info. I just bought my 1973 Pantera L> a few weeks ago and I bought it from the estate of the previous owner so I> don't have the benefit of asking him tech questions about how he set it up.> I amhaving some ignitionproblems and it appears that my ignition is a mix of> electronic ignition and "old style parts" It has no points but the pointless> ignition is in theoriginal distributor. I want to upgrade to a more modern> electronic ignition and I am looking for input as to what brand /model of> coil, distributor, plugs, wiresetc. would be recommended. Since as I said> the previous owner has gone to the " Pantera track in the sky" iI can't get> the specs but the engine is running a 650 Holley with a manual choke, it has> some kind of upgraded cam,It has what I think is an upgraded ansa exhaust. I> recognize lots of parts from Hall panteras catolouge so the guy apparently> spent a fair amount of money on various odds and ends but I can't tell whats> on the inside. Any suggestions as far as ignition components would be very> welcome.> Thanks> Boyd411 at gmail.com> _______________________________________________> > Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA> > Archive Search Engine Now Available at http://www.realbig.com/detomaso/> > DeTomaso mailing list> DeTomaso at list.realbig.com> http://list.realbig.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso