[DeTomaso] Header gasket to exhaust port match?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Sep 29 23:55:12 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/29/08 2:07:09 PM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> It appears that my exhaust ports are maybe 0.2 smaller width and height
> than the gaskets I've found. My heads were probably ported for a restrictor
> plate motor, and the gaskets are sized for larger ports. The smaller ports appear
> to be a good match for my engine parameters. Should the gaskets openings
> being a bit large matter much?

To quote a famous engine builder, "Why would anyone let the gasket
manufacturers dictate the size of your engine's ports?" The only function of the header
gasket is to prevent exhaust leaks while not restricting gas flow. As long as
they do that, they will work OK. The only effect of a slightly too-large
header gasket is, its that little bit weaker than one with smaller holes, so under
really adverse conditions not often found with street engines, they might blow
out. You'll very likely be fine with them. Cheers- J Deryke

Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial challenges?  Check out
WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips and calculators.