[DeTomaso] Rollbar Options

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Mon Sep 29 22:43:16 EDT 2008

Scott,

I didn't investigate other options than the full cage like what Mad Dog
has in his Pantera.  However, with that in mind let me tell you what I
think you'll find.

A good roll bar should mount just behind the seat belt retractor well at
the sill of each door.  This will allow you to continue using the stock
belt at that location.  You can then either mount the harness with
additional hardware to an alternate location, or before race time, just
change the belts over.  If you can't find one in that configuration, you
might check around for someone who can weld one up for you.

A good bar will most likely attach to the firewall using the two
shoulder belt locations.  With that said, as long as the bolt is long
enough, you should be able to re-attach the stock shoulder harness at
that point as well.  You -may- need to buy a longer bolt so that you get
the belt and the bar bolted down.  I think this will be the tricky part.

The racing harness shoulder pieces can be attached to the roll bar
itself.  A good roll bar should probably have a loop at shoulder height
from side to side, which you would then loop the belt over and back
through the cinch buckle.  The top loop of the bar would of course reach
to the ceiling of the car.

Okay, so that's how I see it anyway.  :)

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA