[DeTomaso] Peanuts cartoon?

Mike Scardina a42n8cfo at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 29 09:58:07 EDT 2008

I'm a pretty big fan of the work of Charles Schulz.  I recall a Peanuts
strip where Charlie Brown and Linus are discussing their fathers' cars.
It included a list of cars, one of which was a Mangusta.  I'm pretty
sure I read in another book that the list was of cars owned by a neighbor
of Charles Schulz, not his. Although possibly Schulz may have included one of his own in the list.

Schulz seemd to have liked Fords.  The first animation of his Peanuts characters was for Falcon commercials.  That's how he first met Bill Melendez (who just passed a few weeks ago), the animator for all of his TV specials and movies.  Early in his life, Schulz was known to have driven a red 1955 T-Bird for years.  Later in the 60's, with a large family, he drove a big Lincoln and Ford station wagons.

There is a guy in northern CA who maintains a complete database of Peanuts cartoons and writes books and publishes articles about them.  His database is designed to answer exactly your question.  His name is Derrick Bang and can be reached at dbang at davisenterprise.net.  There may be more strips that mention the Mangusta. Derrick would know.  I'll write to Derrick to see what I can learn.

I have a sizeable collection of newspaper comics, dominated by Peanuts.  I'm traveling this week, so I can't access my collection.  I'm sure I can locate a copy of that strip once I'm back home, if someone doesn't find it by then.

Best,
Mike
Pantera GTS #7204