[DeTomaso] Ford GT Wheels

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Sat Sep 27 23:08:05 EDT 2008

Scott

My rear wheels are 11" wide as measured inside the bead.  They have 7.5"
backspacing.  The upper "A" arms are extended 3/8".  An 18", or in your
case, a 19" wheel is adequate in diameter to clear the lower A-arm pivot
shaft nuts w/o modifying them.  On my car if you dropped a string from the
outside fender, there would be about a 1/16" between it and the wheel's
outside edge.

A consequence of greater backspacing is that the tire will rub against the
upper inner chassis rail sooner.  When the suspension is compressed to an
extreme (such as turn 1 at Texas Motor Speedway, a stock wheel with 255
tires can scrub the inner chassis rail.  This is because as the suspension
raises, the tire is pulled into the chassis rail.  Most drivers will never
experience this; although, it is inherent to the suspensions design.
Employing a wheel with more backspace invites this interference quicker. An
issue to consider if you are an aggressive driver on surfaces that invite
suspension compression.  I ground smooth my inner frame rails where the
tires hit to reduce the opportunity for puncture.

In summary, sounds like the Ford GT wheels would work.

JT