[DeTomaso] Ceramic Fiber Cloth

zumzum at cox.net zumzum at cox.net
Fri Sep 26 15:51:23 EDT 2008

Steve, in order to insulate heat, sound and vibration in my personal and my customers cars, I have been using extruded silica sheet-mats in a sandwich with closed cell sponge rubber neoprene since 1982 with fantastic success. I then cover this heat and sound deadening mat with a four ply silicone and extruded silica fabric that repels all liquids { so no open cell fire holding fabric}. What you wind up with is a mat of your desired shape that is between 19mm on up. The silicone-silica mat has a smooth gray finish with a texture of shark skin. In the extreme sound abatement I will also use prewar 1/8 nth inch lead sheets in the center which also helps to hold the shape. No normal car sound will go through lead. I live in Baton Rouge, La. and the place I go to is LEWCO. There web site is www.lewcospecialtyproducts.com. Now they only sell in 250 sqft units so small jobs are difficult. I am still using material I bought six years ago. The lead sheets I got from a dentist x ray room. I have plenty to help you out with so e-mail me if your interested. Maybe in your area after seeing what LEWCO has, you can find some? I have put a 1/2' thick sheet in the palm of my hand while I was melting the upper layer with a blue flame ox-excl torch. Three years ago I insulated my wife's 98 E430 from the windshield base down to floor then back and up to the rear back glass with this 1" thick neoprene, 1/4" silica and silicone fabric, 1' thick silica mat,  lead, dynamat, radiant silica aluminum cloth and Wurth undercoating. Before and after analog and digital decibel readings on a rough grain concrete I-10 with aggressive W rated Yokohama tires was  70 mph was 71 now 65, 90 mph was 77  now 69, 110 mph was 81 now 73, 143mph being  80db and having only a fantastic 84db at 163 mph being confirmed with my radar gun pointed at the trees for speed reference. Even after a long and fast trip the floors and insulated hood stay ambient temp to the touch. There is also a stock car race supply company in North Carolina that sells the hard silica sheets you ask about. I can't remember their name but when I find their catalog next week I will send it to you. I have seen hillbilly dirt track racers using asbestos shingles. So there are some choices, I hope I helped.  Jeff Cobb, Bordinat Mangusta 1196.