[DeTomaso] Cobra Kit Recommendation and Mustang for Sale

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Sep 25 16:27:38 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/25/08 13 14 18, red3644 at hotmail.com writes:

> Yep, my friends SP with the 427 I mentioned is close to the 600hp
> neighborhood and while it sounds like fun, it's not alot
> of the time.
>
>>>When I had the stock Le Mans rods, it resulted in heavy flywheel effect
and caused the revs to spool up slowly, even with an aluminum flywheel.   It
made it a great cruising car, as I could plonk along at 1000 rpm in 4th gear and
pull away cleanly.   Now I've got lighter Eagle H-beam rods and a more
aggressive cam, and it's not such a good low-speed car anymore.   But I don't care
about that--I never cruise anyway. :>)

>  The opportunity to use the power are few.
>
>>>Depends on where you live.   I use 100% of my car's power every time I
drive it. :>)

> > You have to drive with so much care it gets tiring and frustrating.
>
>>>There's some truth in that; throttle modulation is VERY important, and you
have to carefully 'read' the surface of the road ahead and act accordingly.
You can't just mash the throttle to the mat whenever you want.

> >I think he would have a more enjoyable car with something more
> streetable.  Riding along ain't that great either after the
> novelty wears off...but then I think Cobras are at their best when setting
> still and being owned by someone else.
>
>>>HAHAHA!!

My car is supremely (and very surprisingly) comfortable; I drove it 600 miles
from Las Vegas to my house in the middle of the night a few years ago, with
no problems.   However, driving it hard on the back roads without earplugs is
trying after a short while; the central nervous system takes quite a beating
between the (loud!) exhaust noise, and the wind noise, and the wind rushing
through your hair.   Under those circumstances, after an hour, you're pretty well
shot.   During the road trip I was wearing earplugs and a ski hat, and that
made a *huge* difference.

> The FIA cars are my favorites.
>
>>>I have a difficult time choosing sometimes.   The original skinny-tire,
narrow-body 289 street roadster is a little too delicate for my tastes though.