[DeTomaso] Cleveland Timing Set

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Thu Sep 25 13:37:12 EDT 2008

cengles at cox.net skrev:
> Dear Thomas and Asa,
>
> I understand the cool factor with gear drive. I understand it has a cool sound. I understand that it is supposed to more "accurately time cam events" than a timing chain.
>
> Dumb question: Does it ever "wear out" like a double roller timing chain?

Oh, I have no idea.

I do know that old Volvos, the B18/B20 and the B30 used gear drive. The
cam gear was phenolic on the old B18 and I know of at least one engine
making horrible and seemingly expensive noises when it was just the
phenolic part that had come loose from the steel hub. Amazingly the cam
gear still worked, but it was rattling around like crazy.

I think that the marine versions (Volvo-Penta) was all metal.

Thomas

--
Real life:   Thomas Törnblom             Email:  Thomas.Tornblom at Hax.SE
Snail mail:  Banvallsvägen 14            Phone:    +46 18 444 33 21