[DeTomaso] Cobra Kit Recommendation and Mustang for Sale

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 25 11:22:15 EDT 2008

A good friend has a Superformance car with a very strong 427 in it.  It is obviously a well built unit.
No matter how accurate the replica is, it will never ever be anything more than what it is.  If if were
100%, you'd have a rattling, cracking, hot, mediocre car compared to what's available today.  I'd suggest
riding in a few and see which one is actually usable.  I've spent time in the SPs, ERAs and Factory 5s as well
as years on the restoration of a real 427 Cobra ( the bottle green one seen at Laguna Seca with the custom
rear exit exhaust). It's like buying a Pantera, look at as many as you can and ride/drive some.
Michael> From: MikeLDrew at aol.com> Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:59:29 -0400> To: dkschrader at gmail.com; michael at michaelshortt.com> CC: detomaso at realbig.com> Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Cobra Kit Recommendation and Mustang for Sale> > > In a message dated 9/25/08 7 26 25, dkschrader at gmail.com writes:> > > > Three of the guys I work with own Cobra Kit cars.  One has a Superformance,> > and has found a few in town (Dallas) in the realm of $40k with a motor.> > However, they're all put together...> > > >>>Which is a nice thing. Superformance makes a very high-quality car, > although inexplicably they took a few liberties with the original design. The > nose is different (the opening in the body comes to a much sharper point), and > they also use a unique windshield design; the windshield is shorter I believe. > Why???> > But they are good-looking, and the quality of the design and chassis > engineering is excellent. And they're put together well.> > > > > >Why is Factory Five ruled out?> > > >>>Ack. Junk! Solid-axle rear end, bolt-on wheels, tacky. A pastiche of > a Cobra. Basically it's just a street rod wearing a Cobra body, fine for > cruising with one elbow on the door, but not even close to being a proper > 'replica'.> > Contemporary (which is what he had before, and I have now) was the best you > could get in the 80s, and the body is fairly accurate (the taillights are a bit > more pointy reportedly), but the Jaguar-based suspension leaves a lot to be > desired, and if I didn't already have mine, I wouldn't buy one now. Really, > the Shelby replicas are still the best you can get with a fiberglass body; > Kirkham is a strong contender too, with an aluminum body, but the cost goes > through the roof at that point.> > > > > >Lone Star Classics makes a better quality kit than Factory Five (or so I'm> > told).  They are located in Dallas as well.  > > > >>>Another live-axle, bolt-on-wheels street rod in Cobra clothing.> > > > Another is Kirkam...but, I no> > nothing about their products.> > > >>>Arguably better than the originals, but very expensive. You would be > hard-pressed to get one on the road with a decent motor under the hood for under > $100K, I think.> > Mike> > > > **************> Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial > challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips and > calculators.> (http://www.walletpop.com/?NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)> _______________________________________________> > Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA> > Archive Search Engine Now Available at http://www.realbig.com/detomaso/> > DeTomaso mailing list> DeTomaso at list.realbig.com> http://list.realbig.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso