[DeTomaso] Aluminum Cleveland Block

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 13:04:20 EDT 2008

Do you mean a block that uses a Cleveland oil pan and timing chain/cover etc.? or just an aluminum SBF block.  I'm not sure what the advantages are of the Cleveland timing cover arrangement, but it does limit you because there are a lot more after market parts for a Windsor timing chain/cover block.  There are aluminum 9.2 deck SBF blocks that you can bolt SVO Cleveland style heads to (A3, B3, C302, C3 etc.) and they look pretty much like a Cleveland.  About the only difference you will see is the difference in the rear of the valley.  The Fontana block is part Cleveland and part Windsor (i.e., Clevor) and the SVO blocks are basically 9.2 deck Windsor blocks.  If you find a new one, just make sure you understand how much maching work is required.  I think that can add hundreds or even thousands to the bottom line.

Ken