[DeTomaso] Calif Title Question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Sep 23 20:59:49 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/23/08 4:49:46 PM, 6d9gt500 at comcast.net writes:

> but there is no vin on the brake clutch box.

The serial number stamping on the steel box was done by DeTomaso to make the
car legally saleable in the U.S. and the only way it could be gone is if
someone cut that whole upper panel off and welded in a substitute. Its kind of hard
to think of a reason to do this other than massive crash-damage or 'funny'
business. Crash-repaired cars are called "splitters" from using the front of one
and the back of another, and often, the chop-shops that create them aren't
aware of all the places where serials are or should be.

The tag on the clutch/brake toe-box actually lets the factory stamping thats
underneath show through. I've seen customized Panteras where trunk upholstery
covers the toe-box, but underneath, the stamping is still there. Maybe yours
is that way? I wonder if there's a second sheet of steel over the original
box's top for some weird reason? A reproduction 4x 8" aluminum tag with a slot in
it is available from any of the Pantera parts vendors, if thats actually
what's missing. Then you cut a 1/2" x 6" long slot in the upholstery and the number
will be visible. A second place for the serial was a rivited tag on the left
top of the dash that duplicated the toe-box stamping. At least one of these
should be visible or the DMV is gonna ask lots of questions of the prospective
new owner, and maybe not allow the thing to be registered. I'd definitely get
this straightened out before offering it for sale.

As I said, the serial was also stamped in the original headlight buckets- at
least thru early '73, and on the left rear inner fender panel, the original
engine number was stamped, matching a number stamped into the original block 9if
its still in place), just above the bellhousing on the left. All this stuff
should be visible to an inspector except the bucket-numbers. Good luck- J
Deryke