[DeTomaso] OT big block Ford

Robert Kirk kirkbrit at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 21 11:38:25 EDT 2008

This is off topic but there is a wealth of knowledge here and I need some advice.

I have a decommissioned Ford U haul truck which appears to be worth more as scrap than as a vehicle.  Other than the 20 foot aluminum box about the only thing I sense has value is the big block 359 motor.  These were specially commissioned by U Haul when they used Ford as a supplier.  9 qt oil capacity twin thermostates etc.  The motor still runs fine.

Question is do I have an engine of value to anyone and if so is it worth anymore than scrap.  It is against my nature to get rid of something useful but I can no longer make good use of the vehicle.  Also is the C6 auto of any value.  Its a 1971`vehicle with a fantastic service record.  When an "over the road" vehicle burned a valve, UHaul routinely changed the head.  I was rather impressed with how well the motor was maintained by the company.

Anyway not asking for any buyers just asking for a consensus of scrap it or market it regarding the engine and trans.

Team Pantera could also use it when the Brazilian Gals show up and need a little shade or a place to change....several interesting ideas occur to me for keeping it on the road!

Regards,
Robert Kirk