[DeTomaso] Maximum Tire Height / Open Road Racing

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Sep 18 07:16:36 EDT 2008

Dudes,

Doing more research, I discovered that contrary to what I thought and posted
a moment ago, the fully treaded version of these tires is actually the
*softer* compound.   From a UK vendor website:

About this product
Michelin's legendary TB15 intermediate tarmac rally tyre and harder compound
TB5 tyre have been reintroduced. Offering astounding levels of grip whilst
also now being road legal. The 2005 TB15/TB5 feature the same tread design as the
original and an equivalent compound providing even better grip. To make these
tyres road legal Michelin have added a tread depth indicator, ETRTO size
marking, DOT and EU numbers. With these changes, the tyres now also meet FIA
requirements for historic vehicles registered between the following periods: G:
between January 1966 and December 1971. H: between January 1972 and December
1976, I: between January 1977 and December 1982.

Both these tyres are mainly for use at VHC (historic) rallies alternating
liaison stages, special stages and shorter stages on circuits. The TB15 tyre is
designed for normal use on dry or damp road surfaces, or slightly wet roads
that are not flooded (it is not a rain tyre) in temperature of up to
approximately 20°C for best results. The TB5 tyre is for more demanding conditions. Made
from a rubber compound which is more resistant than the TB15, it is more
suitable for use in higher temperatures. In addition, thanks to its tread design, it
remains a versatile tyre suitable for damp or dry road surfaces.

However, as is the case for any tyre with a deep tread, when they are new,
these tyres are not designed for intensive use on a dry circuit (it should
nevertheless be noted that grip on dry roads improves with tyre wear: worn down,
these tyres become slicks!

Available in sizes 175/60 R13, 225/45 R13, 170/65 R15, 215/55 R15, 270/45
R15, 295/40 R15, 335/35 R15.